The City of Dawson’s Animal Control Bylaw regulates animals in our community. All dogs within the City of Dawson over the age of six months must be licensed, except in the following circumstances:
- a service dog employed by the RCMP,
- a working dog trained to assist the disabled, or
- a dog owned by or in the possession of a non-resident dog owner for a time period not exceeding two (2) weeks.
Apply for a Dog Licence
Dogs that have not been neutered or spayed are required to be licensed on an annual basis. Neutered / spayed dogs are eligible to be licensed on a lifetime basis provided the owner submits acceptable proof the dog has been neutered or spayed. A completed Dog Licence Application (see below for form), along with payment of the fee as prescribed in the Fees and Charges Bylaw, can be submitted to the City of Dawson:
in person at 1336 Front Street
by mail to PO Box 308, Dawson City, YT Y0B 1G0
by fax to (867) 993-7434
by email to email@example.com
Every intact dog licence issued shall be effective January 1 or the date of issuance until and including the 31st of December next following.
If your dog is neutered or spayed within six months of the purchase of an intact dog licence and you submit a veterinary certificate certifying your dog has been neutered or spayed, you are eligible for a refund of the difference between the intact licence fee and the lifetime licence fee.
Replacement dog tags are available for a prescribed fee.
- The dog licence tag shall be securely fastened to a collar or harness worn by the dog anytime the dog is off the owner’s property.
- No person shall use a dog licence tag on a dog to which it is not registered.
- Every person who becomes the owner of a dog that has a valid City of Dawson dog licence shall within fifteen days of becoming the new owner notify the City of the new owner's name, civic address, telephone number, mailing address, and the dog licence tag number for the dog.
- A licence is not transferable from one dog to another and no refund shall be made for any licence fee because of the death or disposal of a dog or upon the owner leaving the City before the expiration of the licence period.
- Any licensed dog off the owner’s property and not wearing its dog licence shall be deemed to be an unlicensed dog.