Bylaw Services

Bylaws are municipal legislation, drafted and implemented at a local government level, used to protect the welfare, health, safety and comfort of our residents as well as to promote our community standards.  In general, the goal of the Bylaw Services Department is to obtain and enforce general compliance with the provisions of these bylaws.  

While there are some areas of enforcement that require direct intervention, responding to complaints from the public comprises a large portion of regulatory bylaw enforcement.

Common Concerns:

Bylaw Services
Bylaw Services Constable
Phone: 867-993-7400 Ext. 413
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

How to Make a Complaint
If you would like to make a complaint, please follow these easy steps:

  1. Complaints should be submitted in writting and include the following information:
         - your name, address, phone number and email address
         - a brief description of the issue
         - dates and times
         - relevant past history
         - any other information you think would be helpful 
  2. Submit written complaint to Bylaw Services via Fax: 867-993-7434; via Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or in person at City Office.

Complainant information is considered confidential and will not be released unless by order of the court.  By making a complaint, you are consenting to having a bylaw officer contact you for the purpose of collecting additional information.  

In some instances, the municipality may require the complainant to come forward as a witness in a prosecution, however, this is usually done as a last resort.  A complainant would normally be informed of this requirement at the time of the initial complaint or during the investigative process.


Camping is only authorized in areas that have been designated as a campground.  Camping may be allowed in residential areas of the City, provided the camping unit i.e. tent, motorhome, fifth wheel, etc. is not parked partially or fully on any public road, street, lane or sidewalk, and provided the property owner has given permission.

Note: Tents in contravention of the Camping Bylaw may be seized along with all the contents contained within.  All tents seized are subject to a removal and storage fee as prescribed in the Fees and Charges Bylaw.


Noise nuisance is defined as, "everyone who makes or causes noises or sounds in or on a highway or elsewhere in the City which disturbs or tends to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of the neighborhood or of persons in the vicinity."

Construction equipment, light work equipment including tractors, lawnmowers, shall not be operated between the hours of eleven o'clock at night and seven o'clock in the morning (11:00 PM - 7:00 AM) in residential areas except with the permission of the Bylaw Officer.

If you have a noise complaint after hours, please contact the RCMP. 

Parking Enforcement

In accordance with the Traffic Bylaw, parking regulations are enforced in all areas of Dawson. Please note that all vehicles parked on private and public property, including rights of ways, must have proof of valid registration displayed on the vehicle at all times.  Vehicles parked in contravention of the posted parking regulations will be ticketed and towed at the owner's expense.

Parking in excess of 24 hours on City streets is prohibited in all areas of Dawson, with the exception of private property.

Been Towed?  Please contact Advance North Mechanical at 867-993-5785

Pets & Animals

LOST your dog or cat?
Please contact Bylaw Services at 867-993-7400 Ext 413 or the Humane Society Dawson at 867-993-6900.

FOUND a lost dog or cat?
Please contact Bylaw Services at 867-993-7400 Ext 413.

Dog Licences:
All dogs (including puppies over 6 months) living within municipal boundaries must wear a valid license at all times.  If your dog is licensed and your contact information is up to date, you can be contacted in the event that your pet is found.  

City of Dawson dog licenses are available for purchase at the 
City of Dawson Offices, located at 1336 Front Street.             

Dogs must be Leashed

Dogs must be on a leash and under your control at all times on public property, including trails and parks, with the exception of the designated Off-Leash Dog Park located in the North End of town.

The Scoop on Poop

Whether on public or private property, please pick up after your pet.  Dog excrement is unsanitary, unsightly and can be a health hazard.  For your convenience, there are dog bag dispensers at various locations throughout town.  If you find a doggie bag dispenser in need of refills, please contact us and we will have it filled.

Especially in the winter when the weather tends to temporarily hide the evidence; please remember that it is the law to pick up after your dog. Failure to do so not only compiles the crimes into an overwhelming unpleasant spring suprise, but could also earn you a warning or fine from the Bylaw Services Constable.

Chickens and Bees

Interested in raising hens or keeping bees? Check out our Keeping of Hens and Beekeeping brochures for details.  Please note a Beekeeping and/or Hen Permit is required. 

Animal Control Bylaw

Property Nuisance

Be Dawson Proud! By adhering to common sense guidelines, you can ensure the safety of your family, your neighbors and yourself, at the same time keeping Dawson clean and beautiful.

Snow Removal

Everyone has a duty to maintain their property in a way so as not to affect the health and safety of others.  Snow removal from your roof and boardwalk is required during the winter months.  Removing the snow and ice from your boardwalk is mandatory after Every snowfall.  It is also prohibited to deposit snow and ice upon any street or sidewalk in such a way as to create a safety hazard.