Burning Permits & Restrictions
Please note: Any person who starts an outdoor fire and does not completely extinguish such fire is liable for all costs and expenses incurred by the City in controlling and extinguishing such fire.
Permitted Burning Materials Dry pruning’s, branches, etc. as long as they do not cause a smoke nuisance.
Prohibitted Burning Materials: Oil, tar, rubber, plastic, vinyl, fertilizers, chemicals, tires, creosote, wiring insulation, petroleum products, household garbage or any material which produces or may produce toxic or heavy smoke.
Burning Permits and Restrictions: Burning permits are mandatory for any burning of brush, grass, or debris. This also applies to burning with a burn barrel or lighting an open fire for any other purpose than a cooking campfire. Permits are free; however, the public should note that if the fire danger rating is moderate, high or extreme, PERMITS ARE SUSPENDED. For fire danger ratings visit www.community.gov.yk.ca/firemanagement/current.html
The following precautions must be taken to prevent escape of fires:
- No burning is to be done when there is strong wind.
- Light material must be covered by heavier material.
- The fire must be attended and safeguarded at all times.
- There shall be a competent adult person in charge of the fire at all times with sufficient appliances and equipment required to prevent the fire from buring out of control.
- Burning is conucted in a safe manner and complies with the Fire Protection and Life Safety Bylaw.
Campfire Permits and Restrictions: Campfires are permitted within City of Dawson Limits, provided:
- There is no CAMPFIRE BAN in place. To find out if a campfire ban is in place please view the latest Yukon Wildland Fire Activity Report at www.community.gov.yk.ca/firemanagement/current.html
- There is a source of extinguishment nearby
- There is a responsible person in attendance at all times
- Fire pit complies with the Fire Protection and Life Safety Bylaw; and
- Burning is conducted in a safe manner and complies with the Fire Protection and Life Safety Bylaw
If the Fire Department receives a complaint, they will come out to investigate.
Jim Regimbal, Fire Chief
Phone: 867-993-7400 Ext 407